I opened the bottle and it fizzes distrubing the sediment

Alcohol is impossible without yeast.

I opened the bottle and it fizzes distrubing the sediment

Postby ezcaps » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Q: I recently used the caps t make some wine. I have left it for seven days and then refigerated it. After 2 days I opened the bottle and it fizzes distrubing the sediment in the bottom. Is his meant to happen or have I done something wrong.

You haven't done anything wrong. The longer it sits, the more muddy the sediment will get and less likely it will be to get disturbed. Most people don't mind a little sediment but if it bothers you, you can rack it by pouring the contents into another bottle, being careful not to transfer as much sediment as possible. When that clarifies, there will be very little sediment left. Done again, and there should be none at all.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: I opened the bottle and it fizzes distrubing the sediment

Postby Casketmaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 am

ezcaps wrote:Q: I recently used the caps t make some wine. I have left it for seven days and then refigerated it. After 2 days I opened the bottle and it fizzes distrubing the sediment in the bottom. Is his meant to happen or have I done something wrong.

You haven't done anything wrong. The longer it sits, the more muddy the sediment will get and less likely it will be to get disturbed. Most people don't mind a little sediment but if it bothers you, you can rack it by pouring the contents into another bottle, being careful not to transfer as much sediment as possible. When that clarifies, there will be very little sediment left. Done again, and there should be none at all.

If you can find it at a farm supply store get some 1/4" - 3/8" ID clear hose/tubing and use that as a syphon to transfer the liquid. This will leave behind more sediment than pouring it. Also try and sneak the liquid down the side of the bottle you are transfering it too so you dont impart oxygen into the wine and so you dont lose all your bubbles..
Casketmaker

Return to Yeast