having trouble with white grape juice

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

having trouble with white grape juice

Postby rastoma » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:07 pm

This is the first time I have ever tried to ferment white grape juice and it's not working. I'm using Walmart brand 100% white grape juice. I don't see anything in the ingredients that's different from the WM brand 100% red grape juice that I have been using that ferments like crazy.

I added another bit of yeast after 2 days, shook it up good and so far, about 12 hours later not a single bubble and no pressure in the bottle. I see all the yeast just suspended in the liquid. I'm using yeast from the same vial that I've had other batches of various 'stuff' this week that is going like crazy.

I filled the bottle to about 90% of the white grape juice, used 1 cup sugar, and 1/8tsp of yeast.

Could I have a bad bottle of juice?
Robin
rastoma

Re: having trouble with white grape juice

Postby ezcaps » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:54 pm

rastoma wrote:This is the first time I have ever tried to ferment white grape juice and it's not working. I'm using Walmart brand 100% white grape juice. I don't see anything in the ingredients that's different from the WM brand 100% red grape juice that I have been using that ferments like crazy.

I added another bit of yeast after 2 days, shook it up good and so far, about 12 hours later not a single bubble and no pressure in the bottle. I see all the yeast just suspended in the liquid. I'm using yeast from the same vial that I've had other batches of various 'stuff' this week that is going like crazy.

I filled the bottle to about 90% of the white grape juice, used 1 cup sugar, and 1/8tsp of yeast.

Could I have a bad bottle of juice?

Since you have other batches going, try pouring out like 1/2 a cup and then replacing it with some juice from something that you currently have that is actively fermenting.

For some reason, white grape juice takes longer to start than it's red cousin. I don't know why. It's a great candidate for "recycled" yeast.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby rastoma » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Hmmm. I should have tried that and I know I should have waited to see if anyone had a suggestion but I was so aggravated last night I poured it out.

I'm going to get some more white grape juice today and try again.
Robin
rastoma

Postby xxstealyourface » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey guys I'm pretty new here and started two batches of white grape juice. I used the Stop n Shop store brand and the Welches brand to see if anything comes out different. The Welche's is a 100% juice with the original sugars from the grapes without the Corn syrup, but the store brand does. I've read a bunch that yeast loves the corn syrup more than the natural sugars, but so far the Welche's seems to be working and fermenting a lot better.

To each, two liter bottle, I added one can of concentrate along with 2 cups of sugar each(don't forget the water ;)). The Welche's started fermenting after the first 24 hours. On the other hand, the store brand took up to two days to really notice a difference. I've decided to let both bottles ferment for a little under 2 weeks. Believe me the anticipation is killing me it's taking all of my restraint not to drink it after a week.

I had the same problem when I brewed my first batch of beer using a different method than the E-Z cap way. I had bottled it and only let it condition for a week and didn't bother to cold condition it for a few days before tasting and what came out of a west coast pale ale was a Natural Ice-esc that got me pretty drunk, but tasted deplorable. I've learned that patience in these matters is the best policy. I'll let you guys know about the completed product with the White Grape Juice, I'm really excited to see the differences between the Store brand and the Welches.
xxstealyourface

Return to Recipes and questions