Getting the last of the sugar to ferment.....

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

Getting the last of the sugar to ferment.....

Postby surge0n66 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:57 am

Hi

I have made a good few batches of various drinks now and am very comfortable with the EZ-Caps system, but always seem to have a problem getting that last bit of sugar to completely ferment out. I am only using an OG of 1100 but don't seem to be able to get the final SG down under 1010 which gives me a sweet result which I do not particularly like. I have tried longer fermentation times and adding more yeast, but still seem to hit that 1010 barrier on some batches and cant get it to shift which makes the brewing a bit hit and miss.

Any ideas of ensuring a dry finish with no sweetness?

Cheers
surge0n66

Re: Getting the last of the sugar to ferment.....

Postby ezcaps » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:10 am

surge0n66 wrote:Hi

I have made a good few batches of various drinks now and am very comfortable with the EZ-Caps system, but always seem to have a problem getting that last bit of sugar to completely ferment out. I am only using an OG of 1100 but don't seem to be able to get the final SG down under 1010 which gives me a sweet result which I do not particularly like. I have tried longer fermentation times and adding more yeast, but still seem to hit that 1010 barrier on some batches and cant get it to shift which makes the brewing a bit hit and miss.

Any ideas of ensuring a dry finish with no sweetness?

Cheers

An OG of 1.1 and SG of 1.01 should be almost 13% alcohol and most recipes will top out at 16-17% with EZ Caps yeast. What type of juice are you trying to ferment? You might be able to push it a little higher to ferment the last of the sugar but you also might just want to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe. There are other factors (like acidity) that can cause premature yeast death. post what your recipe is and maybe we can come up with some ideas.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Recipes and questions