Where to ferment??

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

Where to ferment??

Postby Melissaflo » Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 am

I am going to brew my first ezcaps drink tomorrow and I was just wondering where in the house should I store this? I read it should be at 68-80 degrees. Where is that? My house is usually about 63 degrees, I thought to maybe put the bottle in a cabinet and wrap it in a heavy blanket? Any ideas?
Melissaflo

Re: Where to ferment??

Postby ezcaps » Wed May 18, 2011 1:46 am

Melissaflo wrote:I am going to brew my first ezcaps drink tomorrow and I was just wondering where in the house should I store this? I read it should be at 68-80 degrees. Where is that? My house is usually about 63 degrees, I thought to maybe put the bottle in a cabinet and wrap it in a heavy blanket? Any ideas?

My thermostat is set at 62 degrees and I can ferment on the kitchen counter just fine, however I get faster results when I put the bottles on top of the water heater in my closet. (if your water heater is in the garage or someplace colder, this will not be a solution for you)

Wrapping it in a blanket will help, as yeast activity generates it's own heat and the blanket will help to retain it. The important thing is to keep it warm until fermantation is active, after that it matters less because the yeast will actually generate heat as a byproduct of their activity.

If your house is simply just too cold to start fermentation, you can put the bottles in an insulated "cooler" along with a few bottles loaded with hot tap water. Refill the hot tap water once or twice a day until you see active fermentation.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Where to ferment??

Postby smokediverxxx » Thu May 19, 2011 12:34 pm

any dark area like a cabinet / under a sink will do just fine - but like above said, if you can get it near the water heater, that would prolly work better (if it's not a gas water heater - just trying to be safe here).
smokediverxxx

Return to Recipes and questions