Pressure and fermentation

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

Pressure and fermentation

Postby jerb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:21 am

I'm new to fermenting, and to e-z caps. I've noticed the bottles become rock-hard after a few days. I looked online and found some brewers saying excessive C02, which dissolves back into water as carbonic acid, combined w/ high pressure that yeast cells don't like, can actually inhibit fermentation. I'm wondering, does everyone tighten their caps all the way, or should I loosen them until the bottles are softer?

BTW, my first ferment -- the ginger beer recipe left for 5 days instead of 2 -- turned out delicious. But wow was it bubbly! Bubbles kept coming furiously even minutes after it was poured into a glass, makes me think it was over-carbonated...
jerb

Re: Pressure and fermentation

Postby ezcaps » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 am

jerb wrote:I'm new to fermenting, and to e-z caps. I've noticed the bottles become rock-hard after a few days. I looked online and found some brewers saying excessive C02, which dissolves back into water as carbonic acid, combined w/ high pressure that yeast cells don't like, can actually inhibit fermentation. I'm wondering, does everyone tighten their caps all the way, or should I loosen them until the bottles are softer?

BTW, my first ferment -- the ginger beer recipe left for 5 days instead of 2 -- turned out delicious. But wow was it bubbly! Bubbles kept coming furiously even minutes after it was poured into a glass, makes me think it was over-carbonated...

Don't worry, the caps will know what to do. Don't loosen them unless you want a flat drink.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Pressure and fermentation

Postby ezcaps » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

jerb wrote:

I should have added, the first time you use a set of caps is their "break in" period where they retain more CO2 than subsequent uses.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Recipes and questions