Sediment

Sediment

Postby beecool03 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:21 am

Hey All, does anyone know a great method for removing sediment from a wine.. I really wanna get some wine bottles and put my wine it them, but there is always that sediment in there. I wanna have wine in a bottle that doesnt have sediment.. Any tips Please
beecool03

Re: Sediment

Postby ezcaps » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Rack and re-rack.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby rastoma » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 am

beecool03 wrote:Hey All, does anyone know a great method for removing sediment from a wine.. I really wanna get some wine bottles and put my wine it them, but there is always that sediment in there. I wanna have wine in a bottle that doesnt have sediment.. Any tips Please

Get some aquarium air tubing or something similar, that's clean. If need be, soak in a tub of warm water with one cap full of bleach per gallon of water. Make sure it gets INSIDE the tubing too, for at least 15 minutes. Rinse real good afterward.

Put your original bottle on the counter and the new container on the floor or a chair that is lower than the counter. Stick one end of the tubing in the original bottle, keeping it above the sediment, usually about an inch or so from the bottom of the bottle. Take the other end and suck on it. Rinse your mouth with anti-septic mouthwash as a precaution or take some plastic warp or aluminum foil a couple of inches around the tube that your lips will touch. Make sure it's loose as you will need to pull it off the tubing quickly right before the flow starts. Right before the liquid reaches the end remove from mouth and place into the new bottle. That's the poor man's method.

You can buy a device that will start the suction instead from suppliers that carry wine/beer making supplies.
Robin
rastoma

Postby davily » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm

That was exactly my approach :D
One catch - siphoning into another container seems to completely remove the bubbles, so don't do it if you want sparkling wine.
All of my attempts so far have remained cloudy, however :( After two days in the fridge I just go ahead and drink them anyway.

Question: how many days does it take for, say, grape wine or cider to completely clarify?
davily

Postby ezcaps » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

davily wrote:That was exactly my approach :D
One catch - siphoning into another container seems to completely remove the bubbles, so don't do it if you want sparkling wine.
All of my attempts so far have remained cloudy, however :( After two days in the fridge I just go ahead and drink them anyway.

Question: how many days does it take for, say, grape wine or cider to completely clarify?

If I want really clear (which is rare, usually only with beer) I usually let it sit until its mostly clear (3 days max) then I rack it. Its usually clear the next day.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby ultraputa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:45 am

I got PERFECT clear results by bottling after fridge.

Be careful with densities to avoid bottle explosion.

Now I have one cider perfectly clear on a champagne bottle, it was primed with regular sugar, and another civer partially cloud, bottled 2 weeks ago without primer. I don't know if the last sugar addition affects the clearness.

I bottled to 0.5l bottles of white wine and both are clear without prime.

We will see if the cloudy cider becomes clear after few days more...
ultraputa

Return to Wine