Mango or chocolate flavor wines, ciders, or beer with ez cap

Mango or chocolate flavor wines, ciders, or beer with ez cap

Postby usherg1981 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for these 2 flavors ?
usherg1981

Re: Mango or chocolate flavor wines, ciders, or beer with ez cap

Postby juicealchemist » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 am

im very new to this but my next endeavor will be a chocolate raspberry wine. i am waiting for some more supplies to arrive and am leaving for a while soon. i imagine using powder would create a good amount of sediment. so i feel like i have two options, first one i want to try will be back sweetening with ghirardelli choc powder (im sure any will do, but thats my fav). my other thought is to look in the baking section for some type of choc flavor extract. im going on vacation, so i will not be attempting this any time in the next month, but am very excited to try. if any one else has success with my idea, or has had success with any other method please let me know! hope this get your brain stirring. i am open to any other suggestions so, everyone with an idea please post more in this section!!!!!
juicealchemist

Postby jenius00 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:56 am

juicealchemist wrote:im very new to this but my next endeavor will be a chocolate raspberry wine. i am waiting for some more supplies to arrive and am leaving for a while soon. i imagine using powder would create a good amount of sediment. so i feel like i have two options, first one i want to try will be back sweetening with ghirardelli choc powder (im sure any will do, but thats my fav). my other thought is to look in the baking section for some type of choc flavor extract. im going on vacation, so i will not be attempting this any time in the next month, but am very excited to try. if any one else has success with my idea, or has had success with any other method please let me know! hope this get your brain stirring. i am open to any other suggestions so, everyone with an idea please post more in this section!!!!!

I would be interested in hearing how your chocolate raspberry wine turns out. Making a good raspberry wine sounds like it would be difficult from what I've been reading because it is so tart. I was reading that blending wines can make a more robust wine out of a couple of mediocre ones and there was mention that banana wine proves good stock for blending, adding more body to the finished product and reducing acidity without significantly impacting flavor. While I haven't explored the resources here fully it looks at first glace that the E-Z caps system isn't really designed to work with fruit since it would be hard to get in and out of the bottle. Perhaps you can mash or puree your water and bananas into a slurry and ferment that.
jenius00

Postby ezcaps » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 am

I made an EXCELLENT raspberry wine using EZ Caps. The hardest part was picking all the berries. Once I had them, I put them in a juicer and then strained the result through pantyhose. Then I slowly simmered the juice (with added sugar) for about an hour. Then I let it cool to room temp, added the yeast and followed the regular recipe from there. The raspberry wine was AWESOME. I would do it again if I ever get access to so many berries!
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby rastoma » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 am

ezcaps wrote:I made an EXCELLENT raspberry wine using EZ Caps. The hardest part was picking all the berries. Once I had them, I put them in a juicer and then strained the result through pantyhose. Then I slowly simmered the juice (with added sugar) for about an hour. Then I let it cool to room temp, added the yeast and followed the regular recipe from there. The raspberry wine was AWESOME. I would do it again if I ever get access to so many berries!

Exactly how much of the finished cooked product did you use in a 2 liter bottle? How much water? How long did you let it ferment?
Robin
rastoma

Postby ezcaps » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 am

rastoma wrote:
ezcaps wrote:I made an EXCELLENT raspberry wine using EZ Caps. The hardest part was picking all the berries. Once I had them, I put them in a juicer and then strained the result through pantyhose. Then I slowly simmered the juice (with added sugar) for about an hour. Then I let it cool to room temp, added the yeast and followed the regular recipe from there. The raspberry wine was AWESOME. I would do it again if I ever get access to so many berries!

Exactly how much of the finished cooked product did you use in a 2 liter bottle? How much water? How long did you let it ferment?

I made a wine-making sin by not recording that information- to be honest I didn't think it was going to turn out. I'll never make that mistake again. I do remember that I took a 5-gallon traditional raspberry wine recipe and adapted it down to a 1/2 gallon and used EZ caps instead of the normal directions. (basically stopped following the directions after the juice was simmered).

I made a similar batch using salmon berries (not sure if you can find them outside of Alaska (ps they taste nothing like salmon)) but I added a bunch of extra sugar because the salmon berries were so tart. It also turned out great.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby mikemojc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

I make a delicious White grape\raspbery from Welch's breakfast drink

make a batch of juice like you would for breakfast, but add 1 can of water and 1/2 cup of cane sugar
add yeast and cap it, shake every morning for 3 days, let sit on your water heater for 7 more days
fridges for 2 days, server

Makes a sweet, crisp, carbonate beverage that plays on the tongue and finishes clean and bright
mikemojc

Postby saramc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 pm

In regard to chocolate fruit wine..... :idea: if you plan on using a powder, you will want to wait at least a good 3 months for the powder to break down and then allow time for aging, etc. You could try a chocolate extract for homebrewing, just visit your LHBS or order online. That way you could use the extract to taste, and if you are making a 2L batch it won't take much to get your chocolate component. I have also read where people have used the liquid Hershey's chocolate syrup with good effect, I would just check ingredient list. Oh, and there is a site, PittsburgSodaShop, that carries soda extracts, and they have a Chocolate Fudge extract, I bet you could use that in your recipe with decent results.
I made a really good, IMHO, berry wine...used 64oz container Juice Juice Berry, 2 cups granulated sugar, EZ cap yeast, and allowed to ferment for 7 days, enclosed in a soft sided cooler with a heating pad on LOW the entire time. It finished sweet, right where I like it. Next time I make it I am going to use my hydrometer before/after and determine my alcohol level. If I wanted to go chocolate with it, I would likely drop the sugar to 1 cup, start checking result at 5 days and then add the chocolate extract 1 TBSP at a time and backsweeten if needed. The only thing I don't know, since I have never used the flavored extracts for homebrewing, do you add the extract at the beginning or the end???
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Postby lairdkelly » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Mmm, Chocolate... The ultimate must be Paul van der Veldt's Chocolate-Orange wine (http://shallon.com/chocwine.htm) which is a whey wine made with six different chocolates! (apparently, using whey makes it possible to use chocolate rather than cocoa for a richer chocolate taste).
Some good information on homemade chocolate wines can be found at

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog ... o-make-it/

and, of course, Jack Keller's WineBlog

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblognew.asp
lairdkelly

Return to Wine