Port-style wine recipe anyone?

Port-style wine recipe anyone?

Postby saramc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

This is a recipe I would love to adapt to E-Z caps, it makes 1 gallon.... does anyone have any insight?? Thanks!

BLUEBERRY-ELDERBERRY PORT-STYLE WINE
The recipe below makes a 16% dry wine which is then fortified to 20%, sweetened with grape concentrate, and aged. The yeast variety listed in this recipe will all reach 16% alcohol and then die off, especially if the food is used up.

6 lb. blueberries
6 oz. dried elderberries
1 cup red grape concentrate
1/2 cup light dry malt
1-3/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. USP glycerin
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
4 pt. water
63 ml brandy
2 finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablets
Port wine yeast such as Red Star Pasteur Red, Lalvin ICV-D21, Lalvin Syrah

Wash and crush blueberries in nylon straining bag and strain juice into primary fermentation vessel. Add dried elderberries to bag, tie closed and place in primary. Stir in dry malt, sugar, acid blend, yeast energizer, water, and one of the Campden tablets. Stir well to dissolve sugar and other solids. The starting s.g. should be 1.118 to yield 16% abv. Cover the primary, set aside for 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme and cover for another 12 hours. Add yeast, cover again, and daily stir ingredients and press pulp in nylon bag to extract flavor. When specific gravity is 1.030 (about 5-7 days days), strain juice from bag and rack liquor off sediments into glass secondary. Fit fermentation trap and ferment to dryness. Rack in three weeks and again in two months. When wine is clear and stable, add red grape concentrate, brandy, the second Campden tablet, and glycerin. Let wine rest another two months, rack again and bottle. Allow a year to mature.
(Recipe from http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request147.asp)
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Re: Port-style wine recipe anyone?

Postby saramc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 am

Have given my own post some thought and wonder if I follow the steps and use my traditional wine making bucket and follow the primary fermentation steps and then transfer to 2L bottles for the secondary steps? I could then actually play around with the level of sweetness if I wanted to....since I tend to like sweet, but I could do a semi and a sweet. Am I on the right track? Thanks for letting me vent! ;)
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Return to Wine