Adding More sugar to wine

Adding More sugar to wine

Postby MRW1960 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I started my 1st bottle on 9/29, and 3 bottles on 10/3. I sampled the 1st bottle 2 days ago, very dry, and cannot notice any alcohol. I tried my Apple Cider I started on 10/3 this morning, same results. The 1st bottle had 2 cups of sugar and the Cider was made with 1 Cup sugar. Just want to know if I should boost the sugar content?. The bottles have been in a 75 degree environment. Or should I just let ferment longer. Also they didn't taste very good. How would I go about boosting the sugar to the bottles. I'm kind of frustrated! Is something wrong. I followed the instructions exactly. Thanks in advance.


Michael
MRW1960
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Shenandoah Mtns., Virginia

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby ezcaps » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 pm

MRW1960 wrote:I started my 1st bottle on 9/29, and 3 bottles on 10/3. I sampled the 1st bottle 2 days ago, very dry, and cannot notice any alcohol. I tried my Apple Cider I started on 10/3 this morning, same results. The 1st bottle had 2 cups of sugar and the Cider was made with 1 Cup sugar. Just want to know if I should boost the sugar content?. The bottles have been in a 75 degree environment. Or should I just let ferment longer. Also they didn't taste very good. How would I go about boosting the sugar to the bottles. I'm kind of frustrated! Is something wrong. I followed the instructions exactly. Thanks in advance.


Michael


Is it fizzy, is it fermenting?
ezcaps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby MRW1960 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 am

Yes, very fizzy. I also tasted them unclarified. The bottles are rock solid and fermenting. I notice that the yeast is on the bottom of the bottles. I'm wondering if certain types of fruit juice may take longer to ferment. Some are blended with Pomegranate, Black Cherry and Blueberry juices. I used preservative free juices, all natural.I would figure that the straight apple juice I have for the cider would ferment faster. Maybe wait longer before trying again. I'm sure you know. Thanks.


Michael
MRW1960
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Shenandoah Mtns., Virginia

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby ezcaps » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

MRW1960 wrote:Yes, very fizzy. I also tasted them unclarified. The bottles are rock solid and fermenting. I notice that the yeast is on the bottom of the bottles. I'm wondering if certain types of fruit juice may take longer to ferment. Some are blended with Pomegranate, Black Cherry and Blueberry juices. I used preservative free juices, all natural.I would figure that the straight apple juice I have for the cider would ferment faster. Maybe wait longer before trying again. I'm sure you know. Thanks.


Michael


What was the sweetness level? Too sweet? Too sour? You can't add more sugar at this point because if you tried you'd have a re-creation of Mt. St. Helens on your counter top, however there are things you can do. Tell me more about the flavor.
ezcaps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby MRW1960 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Actually not sweet at all. Has kind of tannic taste on the back of the tongue. And a slight sour taste.
MRW1960
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Shenandoah Mtns., Virginia

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby ezcaps » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:28 pm

MRW1960 wrote:Actually not sweet at all. Has kind of tannic taste on the back of the tongue. And a slight sour taste.


That means all the sugars are getting used up. Put it in the fridge. Once its mostly clarified (and still cold), back sweeten it to taste.
ezcaps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Adding More sugar to wine

Postby MRW1960 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Its in the fridge. I tried it again today and I could sense the alcohol. Thanks. I will remember all this. ;) The 1st bottle I referred to has a medley of juices. Maybe takes longer to ferment. Thx!! 8-)

Michael
MRW1960
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Shenandoah Mtns., Virginia


Return to Wine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron