making my cider sweeter?

making my cider sweeter?

Postby cidermaker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:32 am

I was just curious I want to make my cider taste sweeter I haven't had much success as of late I have followed the directions on making hard cider and when tasted some tonight it tasted watery do I need to let it age more?
cidermaker

Re: making my cider sweeter?

Postby ezcaps » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 am

cidermaker wrote:I was just curious I want to make my cider taste sweeter I haven't had much success as of late I have followed the directions on making hard cider and when tasted some tonight it tasted watery do I need to let it age more?

If you are talking about "sweeter" the best way is to add more sugar at the beginning of the fermentation.

But when you say "watery" I'm wondering if you mean it doesn't have as much "apple taste" as you would like? Different apples, and therefore different apple juices have different flavors, and the hard cider you are making is going to be a reflection of the juice product.

Personally, I like a lot of apple flavor and I use juice from concentrate. Instead of using 1 can of concentrate and 3 cans of water to make it (following the directions on the can) I prefer to use 2 cans of concentrate and 2 cans of water.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: making my cider sweeter?

Postby cidermaker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 am

Yeah I think you are right that's what I wanted to do was have more apple flavor and aroma coming from my cider.I'm going to try making some new batches trying what you have suggested and with luck it will be better.
cidermaker

Return to Cider