Sweetness

Sweetness

Postby surge0n66 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:16 am

Hi

I followed the instructions shown here with the required quantities of various ingredients, and after 'Clarifying' (I use the term loosely as it didn't clarify) The resultant cider is so sweet as to be undrinkable. I have a hydrometer on the way from my friend in the UK so i can check the ABV ratings, but all of my first batch of 6 test brews are useless as they are so sweet.

Is there a way of reducing the sugar content in these brews or are they non-redeemable?

I very much want this to work, and will give it another go with less added sugar this time if necessary.
surge0n66

Re: Sweetness

Postby Ratica » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:17 pm

If you let it ferment for longer, in a cooler place, your resulting cider will be less sweet.

Cider, unlike wine, does best at cooler temperatures. Keeping your batch in the dark, at around 65 degrees, and undisturbed until opening if you want to maximize clarity. They'll almost completely clarify on their own like this, with only a bit left to be done by the fridge. If you can, store them in a cool basement. It will take a little longer for them to ferment, but I think it's worth the wait.
Ratica

Postby surge0n66 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Many thanks for the reply. I am worried that the ABV is so high that the yeast cannot work on it any longer, as i obviously put too much sugar in the mix to start with. I am a bit lost for a cool dark place as i live in the south of Spain and had I such a place - I would be living in it myself :)

Could I re-start it with a little new yeast and look for the coolest darkest place I can? I thought that the cloudiness might be the result of all the excess sugar that is making it so sweet. I guess I could throw the batch away and try again with a more sensible mix.....but after fermenting for 12 days, I just thought it might be worth trying to recover the brew.

I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance and will start a new batch soon anyway just to see how a lower sugar addition goes.
surge0n66

Postby surge0n66 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 am

Bingo!

I split the too sweet cider into two seperate bottles, added more juice, a decent amount more sugar and a little more yeast, left another week, FG is down to 1000 and the result is SPECTACULAR!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The brew is refreshing, clear and has a kick as strong as a boot in the 'nads!

Thanks E-Z-Caps and fellow brewers.....
surge0n66

Return to Cider