Bottling after fermenting

Bottling after fermenting

Postby smokediverxxx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13 pm

I use a two liter bottle with apple juice and 2 cups of sugar and 1/8 tsp of yeast. I let it ferment for two weeks or until I no longer see bubbles. Now I'm wanting to transfer it to bottles in 12 ounce bottles with carbination. How much sugar do I add to each bottle and how long does it take to carbonate? Thanx
smokediverxxx

Re: Bottling after fermenting

Postby ezcaps » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

smokediverxxx wrote:I use a two liter bottle with apple juice and 2 cups of sugar and 1/8 tsp of yeast. I let it ferment for two weeks or until I no longer see bubbles. Now I'm wanting to transfer it to bottles in 12 ounce bottles with carbination. How much sugar do I add to each bottle and how long does it take to carbonate? Thanx

The quick and easy way to do it is to add 1 tsp of sugar directly to each bottle, however it is not the best way because the sugar is not sterilized. However with the recipe you used I would suspect that the alcohol level is high enough that this should not be a concern.

I'm curious though, isn't the beverage already carbonated? If you pour it into the 12 ounce containers it should maintain the carbonation. I would pour it in when the cider is very cold. The colder the better without freezing, although with the alcohol this very well could be in the low 20's (fahrenhite). Colder liquids absorb more co2 than warmer ones.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Bottling after fermenting

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 pm

I put a 2L bottle of cider into the fridge 3 hours ago. It had been fermenting for 4 days 15 hours 40 minutes, so should have reached nearly 9% vol, which is strong enough and brings me closer to the time I can start saving money!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions, based on the details above. I've read some answers, but I'm not sure if these apply to me.

1. When the mixture has cleared, will it be fizzy/carbonated? If not, will it require being "primed" by pouring it into another bottle, adding a couple of teaspoonsful of sugar, then waiting some more time?

2. At what stage should I remove the ezcaps cap and put a normal cap on the bottle? Does this really matter?

3. If I pour the cider from the 2L bottle into another 2L bottle, won't it go flat inbetween me starting and finishing to drink it? This is what usually happens to the cider that was originally in the 2L bottles. Should I pour it into some 1L bottles instead?
Bruno

Return to Cider