Need a straight mead recipe

Need a straight mead recipe

Postby Morriganpoe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello Folks,
New to ez caps here,

I was wondering how much honey and how much yeast for a 2 liter batch of straight mead. I just got the kit yesterday and want to get started. I prefer sweet meads as opposed to dry ones.

Thank you,
Kristy
Morriganpoe

Re: Need a straight mead recipe

Postby mikemojc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Sweet Mead

1 pound of honey
1/3 pound cane sugar (you can also use brown sugar for a little something different) :)
juice of 1 fresh lemon
1/2 cup apple juice (no preservatives, juice made from concentrate works well)
Warm water to bring total volume up to about 1.75~1.8 liters
Your yeast of choice - high tolerance yeasts like Champagne yeast works well
for any EZ cap recipe, I use just enough yeast to completely cover the inside of the EZ cap

Honey can be a little tough to ferment, so adding the cane sugar, lemon and apple juice adds to the flavor as well as acting as a yeast nutrient to get the fermentation started. Expect mead to take about 2~2.5x as long as fruit juice to ferment, then refrigerate.

Once the mead is done, you can add fruits and/or spices if you are so inclined. Enjoy!

mikemojc

Postby Morriganpoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 am

Hello Mike Mojc,

Thank you. I have some yeast nutrient but that sounds wonderful! Thank you soo much. Can't wait to get it going!
Thanks again!
Kristy
Morriganpoe

Postby mikemojc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks! Try that recipe with some cinnamon and clove, too. Make a great Fall/Winter beverage.
mikemojc

Postby rastoma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 pm

This sounds exactly what I have been looking for. Have you made it before? How did it come out?
Robin
rastoma

Postby mikemojc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

I make that recipe ALL the time, it accounts for about 2/3 of the wine I make. :)
The Cinnamon/clove version is great cold in the summer, and room temp/warm in the fall and winter.

How does it come out? :) Most people who 'know' says a mead isnt worth a darn until it's been aged at least a year. That recipe won awards about 36 hours after being bottled, and others since. I now usually make it in 5 gallon batches (about 24 bottles), and have a line of people waiting (some demanding!) for a bottle. In Missouri, it is legal to make wines for personal use, but illegal to sell them without the appropriate licenses. I've never sold a bottle, but been offered $25.00 for one.

I like it made in the EZ-Cap, best, because of the carbonation. The bubbles add a texture that really adds nicely to the flavor!
mikemojc

Postby saramc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 pm

mikemojc wrote:I make that recipe ALL the time, it accounts for about 2/3 of the wine I make. :)
The Cinnamon/clove version is great cold in the summer, and room temp/warm in the fall and winter.

How does it come out? :) Most people who 'know' says a mead isnt worth a darn until it's been aged at least a year. That recipe won awards about 36 hours after being bottled, and others since. I now usually make it in 5 gallon batches (about 24 bottles), and have a line of people waiting (some demanding!) for a bottle. In Missouri, it is legal to make wines for personal use, but illegal to sell them without the appropriate licenses. I've never sold a bottle, but been offered $25.00 for one.

I like it made in the EZ-Cap, best, because of the carbonation. The bubbles add a texture that really adds nicely to the flavor!

@mikemojc....how much cinnamon/clove to a 2l version, and when do you add them? I have a cinnamon tea that I would love to incorporate into a sweet mead and see what happens, this particular tea tastes like liquid red hots and is so good. (Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice)---but I don't know at which point to incorporate and how much should I use. Thanks.
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Postby panhead » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm

My first batch of Mead was simply 1 1/2# of Clover Honey mixed with 7 Cups room temp water & 1/8 tsp yeast. Let it ferment for 21 days, rack into new vessel and let clarify in the fridge 7-10 days. Turned out great. Second batch was same as above but I added 1/4 tsp. Allspice & 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon. Truely, "The Drink of the Gods" !!! I have a batch of Strawberry going now. Should be done in about another two weeks. I'll try to keep you posted.

BTW-I added the strawberries at the start of fermentation and have never had to use a second carboy. Is there a reason I should?
panhead

Postby smokediverxxx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:08 pm

I love to add cinnamon sticks instead of powder(i use the cheap brand at the Dollar Store), but cloves tend to give it a WANG for me. Start with a couple at first. I put 5 cloves in one time and it was just too much - the again, I'm not a big clove fan either :oops: .....Good Luck!
smokediverxxx

Return to Mead