Fermenting Silly Beverages

Fermenting Silly Beverages

Postby hsb12321 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Recently while perusing the internet, I came across a tutorial on how to ferment Hawaiian Punch :lol: . Being the beverage that it is, there are tons of preservatives that prevent it from being fermented. But apparently if you boil it prior to fermenting and "stir it around to release any sulfur," then it is possible to make it into an alcoholic beverage.

I'm not particularly interested in making alcoholic HP, but I would like to try and ferment soft drinks if possible. Is this tutorial completely ficitious?
hsb12321

Re: Fermenting Silly Beverages

Postby ezcaps » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 pm

hsb12321 wrote:Recently while perusing the internet, I came across a tutorial on how to ferment Hawaiian Punch :lol: . Being the beverage that it is, there are tons of preservatives that prevent it from being fermented. But apparently if you boil it prior to fermenting and "stir it around to release any sulfur," then it is possible to make it into an alcoholic beverage.

I'm not particularly interested in making alcoholic HP, but I would like to try and ferment soft drinks if possible. Is this tutorial completely ficitious?

What I would do instead-

First, make some hard cider. After it is clarified, pour off (and drink) all the cider being careful not to disturbe the sediment on the bottom. That sediment contains the yeast and nutrients you are going to use for your silly beverage. With it, ferment a sugar/water blend (amount of sugar will depend on the % of alcohol you want and how much the yeast will eat before dying, I would say 1 cup of sugar per liter would be a good place to start the experiment. If it turns out tasting very sour, you didn't add enough sugar. If it is ungodly sweet, that can be fixed by adding more powder and water (keep reading)). Clarify. Use this sweet alcoholic sugar "wash" to make kool-aid or some other drink from a powder. Buy the type of kool-aid like mom had to buy where she had to add her own sugar to it. That way if the wash turned out too sweet you can manipulate the drink to taste any way you want. Or add additional sugar to taste. Serve over ice. Tell us how it turned out.

Another option would be to buy some turbo or distilling yeast and go that route to make your wash, but they contain nutrients of unknown origin. The leftovers are normally removed during the distillation process and without doing that, could make the silly beverage taste horrible.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby hsb12321 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks! I will definitely be trying this with orange Kool-Aid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hsb12321

Postby ezcaps » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:09 pm

hsb12321 wrote:Thanks! I will definitely be trying this with orange Kool-Aid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Make sure that after adding the water/sugar blend to the yeast sediment, you shake it until its all mixed. Needed to clarify that after typing "being careful not to disturb sediment" was only for keeping the yeast out of the cider.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Other