V8 Juice?

V8 Juice?

Postby jcramm7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Hello. I am new to the EZ caps method (and home brewing in general). I was wondering if anyone had tried using v8 juice in their trials, and if so, how were the results? Maybe drinks like this should be left to bloody mary's, but I was thinking that if I took spicy hot v8 and added needed sugar and yeast, if it would come out like a spicy, alcoholic drink that would so for much less than the cost of ingredients for a bloody mary. If anyone has experience in this, please let me know.
jcramm7

Re: V8 Juice?

Postby ezcaps » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am

Tomato juice is a natural fermenter. Anybody who has worked in a restaurant for any length of time probably has a story about a businessman's day being ruined by opening a bottle of ketchup that had begun fermenting and sprayed fermenting ketchup everywhere including his suit. You see it mainly in restaurants that "top off" their heinz bottles with a cheaper brand so there is always "old" ketchup on the bottom.

There are commercialized producers of tomato wine.

That being said, I have never purposely fermented a vegetable juice (well technically tomatoes are fruits but you know what I mean) but my advice would be, if you are going to try it, try the low sodium (not the spicy ) variety and use a starter or leftover yeast from a previous successful brew. And if you try it, LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT. If it works out, you could always try the spicy variety.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Other