Easy wine recipe

Easy wine recipe

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Welches brand ingredient lists ascorbic acid as a preservative, but it doesn't effect
the fermentation of this wine.

Easy Wine
-----------------
Pour 1 thawed large can frozen grape juice concentrate, any brand, red or white, into a plastic 2 liter soda bottle. If you can't find the big can, you can use the
normal size and reduce water to 80%. You can also use fresh or bottled juice.

Add 1 cup of sugar. You can add more sugar and fermentation time to increase the alcohol content up to 15%

Fill soda bottle 90% full with luke warm water.

Add 1/8 teaspoon of E-Z Cap yeast.

Screw on E-Z Cap.

Shake gently.

Ferment 3-6 days (to taste). Place in refrigerator 2 or more days (until desired clarity).

Drink and enjoy!
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Easy red wine recipe

Postby khiddy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 am

I find that this recipe produces a rather dry wine, because it's hard to stop fermentation. What's amazing is that the wine smells exactly like Welch's grape juice, but it loses the sweet character. It has a marvelous finish that reminds you that you're drinking fermented grape juice. It's quite fascinating, and very fun to drink. I'm having a glass right now that I fermented for two weeks, and at room temperature it's delightful!
khiddy

Re: Easy wine recipe

Postby dopplebock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 am

How many ounces is the large frozen grape juice concentrate?

how much fruit (cups or weight) such as fresh strawberries, etc should you use for a 2 liter batch?
dopplebock

Postby ezcaps » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:16 pm

dopplebock wrote:How many ounces is the large frozen grape juice concentrate?

how much fruit (cups or weight) such as fresh strawberries, etc should you use for a 2 liter batch?

A regular can of concentrate is 12 ounces, the large can is 16. (355 and 475 ml, respectively). For fresh berries, it depends on how much body you want the wine to have and how juicy the particular fruit is. Generally you will want to use 3-5 pounds (1.3 - 2.3 kg) per 2 liter batch. That is a lot of picking, especially if you are harvesting it in the wild.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby dopplebock » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:39 am

thanks, i DO like heavy bodies wine (cabs!) and beer (russian imperial stouts!)

Here's what may be a strange request:

You say: "Fill soda bottle 90% full with luke warm water."
using a ruler, from bottom to top of liquid, how many inches up would 90% be?

I hope to receive my ez cap kit monday or tuesday. i could only find grape and white grapes in 100% welchs. got some cranberry but noticed it is the coctail, only 12% real juice, that would be awful! i'm going to try a different store for something peach. can't wait to get started!
dopplebock

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 pm

dopplebock wrote:thanks, i DO like heavy bodies wine (cabs!) and beer (russian imperial stouts!)

Here's what may be a strange request:

You say: "Fill soda bottle 90% full with luke warm water."
using a ruler, from bottom to top of liquid, how many inches up would 90% be?

I hope to receive my ez cap kit monday or tuesday. i could only find grape and white grapes in 100% welchs. got some cranberry but noticed it is the coctail, only 12% real juice, that would be awful! i'm going to try a different store for something peach. can't wait to get started!

Don't worry about being exact on the 90%- just eyeball it. A little difference either way is irrelevant. The worst thing that can happen is that some fermenation foam comes out the cap and that rinses clean with hot water before you use it on your next batch.

Actually the cranberry cocktail with 12% real juice comes out awesome. It is usually sweetened with corn syrup which imparts a mellow sweetness to the drink.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby dopplebock » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 am

ezcaps wrote:Actually the cranberry cocktail with 12% real juice comes out awesome. It is usually sweetened with corn syrup which imparts a mellow sweetness to the drink.

cool, i'll be sure to try it then!
dopplebock

Postby ezcaps » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:36 pm

dopplebock wrote:
ezcaps wrote:Actually the cranberry cocktail with 12% real juice comes out awesome. It is usually sweetened with corn syrup which imparts a mellow sweetness to the drink.

cool, i'll be sure to try it then!

It tends to ferment quickly. I usually add extra sugar so it doesn't come out too dry.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby Casketmaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:09 am

Trust me, I've been making home made wine for over 10 years and you wont want 100% cranberry juice in a wine. The acid level is ridiculously high and it is so tart that it makes your face pucker up. I make a Christmas wine that is 75% white grape and 25% cranberry (plus other spices) and it comes out realy good. Try the cocktail juice, you may be supprised.
Casketmaker

Postby aguilera2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 am

ok i got my kit yesterday (thank god), i started my first batch right away... now one day later i have a question. what am i looking for in the bottle????, it has been one day and i do not see any bobbles (nothing) or any sign of fermentation... what is expected of a brew like this one? lots of bubbles or is this something slow and not so loud? do you guys have pictures of what my bottle should look like after 24+ hrs of brewing?
thanks
aguilera2000

Next

Return to Wine