Wine tastes like crap!

Wine tastes like crap!

Postby MRW1960 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm

I've let my Wines and Cider ferment for about 10 days. Maybe I'm rushing to judgement, but not happy with the results.Drank 15 ces of my wine's. No results. Is my yeast bad? There was no "SEAL" on it.
MRW1960

Re: Wine tastes like crap!

Postby ezcaps » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 am

"tastes like crap" contains insufficient desciptors to diagnose what may have happened.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby MRW1960 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 am

Sorry to sound mean, but they have been in the fridge for two days and no clarification. As I mentioned in another post , I did everything correctly in the instructions. I was wondering if there some issues with the yeast. One thing that I did was put 1/4 Tsp. of yeast in the bottles. The wine that I fermented the longest still has a sour taste, and the alcohol content seems weak. I just bought a Hydrometer, and will use it next time. Again sorry to be insulting, just want it all to work right. I will update as the 2 bottles stay refrigerated, maybe thats all it needs.Thx.

Michael

UPDATE: After in the fridge for several days, the wine IS clarifiying, and very noticable alcohol. I've figured out with what fruit juices to stick with. I just opened a 10 day old Blend of Black Cherry/Apple juice wine I made and its very good. The wine that I selfishly said that "Tastes like crap" was a nectar blend of Grape,Pomegranate,Pear juices. Won't go there again.The Straight Apple Cider is now maturing very nice.
MRW1960

Postby ezcaps » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm

MRW1960 wrote:Sorry to sound mean, but they have been in the fridge for two days and no clarification. As I mentioned in another post , I did everything correctly in the instructions. I was wondering if there some issues with the yeast. One thing that I did was put 1/4 Tsp. of yeast in the bottles. The wine that I fermented the longest still has a sour taste, and the alcohol content seems weak. I just bought a Hydrometer, and will use it next time. Again sorry to be insulting, just want it all to work right. I will update as the 2 bottles stay refrigerated, maybe thats all it needs.Thx.

Michael

UPDATE: After in the fridge for several days, the wine IS clarifiying, and very noticable alcohol. I've figured out with what fruit juices to stick with. I just opened a 10 day old Blend of Black Cherry/Apple juice wine I made and its very good. The wine that I selfishly said that "Tastes like crap" was a nectar blend of Grape,Pomegranate,Pear juices. Won't go there again.The Straight Apple Cider is now maturing very nice.

The "sour taste" is excessive dryness, essentially all the sugars were used up. You can try back-sweetening it to restore the sugar content to a pallatable level.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby MRW1960 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks. I noticed that one bottle that was very dry is now sweetening back up as its chilling. New learning experience for me. ;)
MRW1960

Postby MRW1960 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 pm

If the sugar was used up within 10 days time, should I increase the amount when I bottle it? You said the sour taste was from the used up sugars. I used 2 cups on my 1st bottle, the next 3 have 1 Cup, and the last 2 1 1/2 cups. Just trying to get a set recipe without sourness and plenty of alcohol :lol: .
MRW1960

Postby ezcaps » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:13 pm

MRW1960 wrote:If the sugar was used up within 10 days time, should I increase the amount when I bottle it? You said the sour taste was from the used up sugars. I used 2 cups on my 1st bottle, the next 3 have 1 Cup, and the last 2 1 1/2 cups. Just trying to get a set recipe without sourness and plenty of alcohol :lol: .

From the thread it looks like each bottle has different fruit juice blends. You'll have to make a recipe for each type of fruit juice blend because each blend has a different amount of sugar.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby MRW1960 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:20 am

Yes, Each bottle does have a different juice blend. OK. Will do.Thanks.

Michael
MRW1960

Return to Wine